So, that is where I was. I didn't want to be backstage anymore. This left me with some choices. I could stick with it, because it is a stable-ish job and just suffer through until the magic kicked in again. I could go headlong into the IASTE stagehand union and lose my soul that way. Or I could go back to school. I chose school.
One passion I have is food. I like eating. I like cooking. I like seeing groups of people eating. Food brings people together like nothing else. Even sporting events wouldn't be what they are without the Stadium Dog or a pretzel. We all need food. I took a good think about the food industry.
Now, keep in mind that I know absolutely dick about it. I have never worked in a fast food place, coffee house, or anything like that. I cooked hot dogs at camp....but that is a whole different story. A cook is similar to the backstage crew. They make the actors (the food) look good. They dress it up, put it on a plate and keep it hot until it is show time. It sure sounds like something I could do! I know it is kind of a cut throat industry. There are long hours and it can be quite stressful. One needs to keep the customer happy at all costs, and not get sued. There are a lot of guidelines to follow. Again, I can do that....mostly.
Due to my lack of experience, I decided that school (however expensive) would be the right way to go. I have always thought of school as the best jumping off point. It is best to go into something as informed as you can, and in school is where you will meet the people who can get you jobs down the road. Theatre taught me that valuable lesson.
I am applied to school. I have drafted my letter of resignation. I am meeting with the financial aid people next week (this will be the tough part). Let's see what happens. For me, it is nearly Show Time.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment