Monday, May 17, 2010

Curtain Call

Well, it is about a month until I quit my job and move on. I should probably find another job sooner, rather than later...Hmmm...
The actual quitting was easier than I expected. It was more like a weight lifted off my shoulders. I guess I have a good way of leaving places I care about.
In high school and some college I worked at a summer camp. I did it for 7 summers, and each one was certainly a joy! The first couple years, the camp director, Skip, would always end the summer the same way. We would have a staff meal (always delish) and generally have a good time, but I remember his final words. "Goodbye sucks, so we'll see ya later." I have found that I have taken that to heart more than I thought at the time. I try to never say goodbye, because it does suck. It has a final ring to it that I don't really like...
Thinking about goodbye has made me research where it actually came from. Apparently, it is a contraction (since we humans are fricking lazy) of "God be with ye". That has a ring I can get behind. Would this make the even lazier "bye!" short for "Be with ye"? Or just "Be ye!" That is a good message to leave people with. Be You. Good Be You. Now that just sounds like Yoda...Hrm...
Anyway, in about a month, I will be saying "See you later" to a lot of good folks, most of which I have never even met. They are the tens of thousands of people that have sat in those red seats time and time again. As Dorthy said to the Scarecrow, "I will miss you most of all." But she knew it was time to go.
So! As an early parting, I want to say "See you later" to all of my theatre friends. Or, "God be with ye" as I truly believe that It will be. Or for my atheistic friends, "Good be with ye," as I think that is a message we can all get behind.

The BS Chef.

1 comment: