Thursday, May 6, 2010

Prologue (part 1)

Hey everybody! I thought I would start out this whole blogging thing with a little background. The point of this blog is to track my shift from a career in the theatrical arts to one in the culinary arts. I may fail. I may become even more awesome. Only by reading this will we ever know.
I have worked in theatre professionally for the last 10 years. I went to college for it for 5 years before that and also did theatre in high school. I have nearly 20 years (rounding up) in the biz and, frankly, I'm kind of fried. Let's be clear here...I am not a performer. I am one of the people that helps make the performer look good. In college, I focused on lighting, and my job for the last 10 years has been as a back stagehand. We make the scenery move and keep the props maintained. Sometimes we strip actors down and redress them in less than 30 seconds. We deal with emergencies (fires, sick actors, injuries, stage fright, etc) and generally have a good time.
In the last few years, I secured a place of responsibility as the lead deck crew. Through this, I got to see a little bit more of the nitty gritty of theatre. I got to see why it is called Show Business, and not Show Friendship. This isn't really what I signed up for.
I like to be a part of the story telling. I like to see the smiles of people leaving the theatre, the laughter or sobs during the show. I don't want to lose the magic. So I'm taking a break. It is really a tough decision, but I know it is the right one. I fully expect the bug will eat at me until I find another shop or stage to work with, but until then, I will stick with the memories, photos and scars that I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment