

On Wednesday, I missed class. It was one of those days where getting out of bed was a bit more effort than the potential day was really worth. And I figured, "We are cooking eggs. Bah. I can cook eggs." So I slept in.
The next day, I asked my wonderful cooking partner how the egg day was. She looked a little sick and said she would be happy if she didn't eat another egg in a while. They each cooked about a dozen eggs or so. Hard cooked (you shouldn't actually BOIL a hard boiled egg...so call them hard COOKED), fried, omelets, scrambled, poached, etc. I decided I should actually do this homework, so I bought a dozen eggs and a pound of butter on the way home.
The omelet and scrambled eggs, I wasn't too worried about. Good ol' Alton Brown had schooled me in those and I am just not worried about it. I trust his version of Good Eats. So I set up to make fried eggs, hard cooked eggs (soft cooked and medium cooked too!), and poached.
Fried Eggs... I also watched Alton Brown do these, so I tried his technique. Coat the non-stick pan with butter, crack in the egg over low heat and wait for it to set. Then flip it out of the pan and catch it upside down! Count to 10 and flip it back. Perfect over easy. I can actually do this!
Hard cooked eggs are done quite a bit around my home too, so I tried a different technique in the book. Cold (or room temp) eggs in a pan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. 1 minute for soft, 5 minutes for medium and 10 minutes for hard. No problem! I think I could really get into eating soft cooked eggs, if I got one of those fancy cups for eating them.
Poached eggs are still a wonder to me. Slide an egg into simmering water and let it cook for 5 or so minutes. It does hold together and it does cook right. So weird...and tasty! The first poached egg I made wasn't quite done, but the second one was just right. The above photos are pictures of the meduim cooked egg, soft cooked egg and the poached egg. I'll let you brainiacs figure out which is which.
And after all that, I was quite done eating eggs for a while... Until tomorrow, perhaps.
The BS Chef
Not sure how I feel about the soft cooked egg, but there are certainly a lot of tasty things to do with eggs!
ReplyDelete-Eric