Golly....it sure has been a while. Sorry about that!
I have passed the first section of school. Not quite a semester, but close. I haven't gotten my grades yet, but by my estimate, I'm rocking straight A's. Woohoo!
Culinary Foundations 1 was pretty nice. I'm getting my knife cuts more accurate and faster. We were taught 'le cuissons', or the 7 basic cooking styles. Grilling, Braising, Roasting, Poaching (includes boiling ans simmering), Sauteing, Frying and Poeler (the 'special' roasting). Each has their reasons and uses, so that starts me off on being able to cook without a recipe! Woot!
Sanitation sure was interesting. My eyes are now noticing short cuts various restaurants take to make service better and faster. Nothing too severe, but perhaps those servers shouldn't be carrying those glasses like that, and that pop dispenser needs a little cleaning... I am well aware that the FDA makes all these guidelines to make sure that everyone has the same chance of not getting sick. Most of the time, it would be the young, old, sick and preggers that would catch the bacteria, as the rest of us can handle a little bit more. In my kitchen at home, I will gladly pick up that piece of chicken off the floor I dropped and throw it back in the pan for a few seconds before I eat it. (Guests will have some more courtesy...FYI...)
I have been working with a local restaurant doing deliveries for their catering service. When I mentioned that the school is trying to scare us all into sanitizing everything, the owner rolled her eyes a bit and said, "There are a lot more of us without food borne illnesses than have them." She makes a good point. Following all the rules is a good thing, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
I remember one time in high school.... The family was out at a chain sports bar type place and I ordered some chicken breast sandwich. Somehow, the FDA sticker was still on the chicken boob when it arrived in front of me. I didn't think anything of it, but my parents made us report it. The manager took care of it and apologized at least 3 times. If I remember right, my meal was free, and I think there was a brownie to boot. I realize now that they bought us off....
Anyway, this is a little rambling, but too bad. I'm looking forward to Culinary Foundations 2. I hear we actually get to start cooking things!! Yay!
The BS Chef
Saturday, August 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so proud of you! I can't wait to eat some of your food!
ReplyDeleteGood show!
ReplyDelete