Saturday, July 10, 2010

One Week!

Well.... I made it through the first week of school. They warned us that the first six weeks would be the hardest, but I'm pretty dang sure I will make it.
I have only screwed up once too! I missed the shoe delivery, because I wasn't in the general education class when the truck showed up. Then I missed the 411 about the second delivery. So I'm shoeless, but I will get a pass on it.
The knife kit is pretty sweet! I'll try to post pictures when I have a little time to take some good pictures. It is basically a 20 pound kitchen in a bag!
So far, what we have learned (or been taught at least)...

Some basic knife cuts. It is really hard to cut a carrot into 1/16 inch cubes, but apparently it is very important to be able to. We also cut shallots into transparent slices and garlic into paste. I think it is neat that all the stuff we are cutting in our beginning class gets carted away to other classes to use in actual cooking stuff! And the scraps get fed to pigs. It is a circle of life and all that jazz. The biggest problem I'm going to have is all the damn French words for everything. I have enough problem remembering what things are called in English! Sheesh. Julliene this.
Safety and Sanitation class is pretty much a huge Fox News scare tactic class. There are millions of things in food that can kill you or make you poop yourself. Or if you cook them, and someone else poops themselves, they will sue you and you will be mocked by the culinary industry forever. I have discovered that I am a face toucher and need to wash my hands all the freaking time. I rub my eye, wash hands. I scratch my ear, wash hands. Whew. I think all that water saved on organic farms is going to wash my dang hands...
So there we go! I'm remembering how to be in school. I had one minor freak out about homework and papers and research, but got through it just fine. I have almost 100 note cards already and one paper written in my head. And I haven't cut myself. Yet.

Until next time!

The BS Chef

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo!!! Glad you survived, and with all your phalanges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It is really hard to cut a carrot into 1/16 inch cubes"

    Wow, I have trouble getting them down to 1/4 inch cubes.

    Also, remember this when you're doing your advanced classes! The food that magically appears for you to cook was cut by the newbies!

    (so don't complain too much when they carrots are 1/8 inch cubes)

    ReplyDelete